National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Michael Riordan met his wife Jennifer in a shopping mall 29 years ago. He was 17 years old. She was just 15.

Last week, Michael's world changed when he learned Jennifer had been killed on Southwest Flight 1380 after an engine failed 32,000 feet above the ground on April 17.

Jennifer, a 43-year-old bank executive and mother of two, was partially sucked out of the plane's window, despite wearing her seat belt. Her fellow passengers were able to pull her back inside of the aircraft but were not able to save her.

Jennifer became the first person to die in an accident on a U.S. airline in nearly 10 years.

Michael sat down with ABC News in his hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico, to share how he learned about Jennifer's death and how he broke the news to their young children.

It began with a phone call from the chaplain at the Philadelphia hospital where Jennifer's body was taken after the flight made an emergency landing.

"The chaplain at the hospital called and said, 'We need to speak with Mike Riordan who is married to Jennifer. Are you married to Jennifer Riordan?'" Michael said. "I said, 'Yes, but she wasn't going through Philadelphia. She was planning on going to Chicago so I don't think you --' just absolute denial. I'm still in denial."

The chaplain told Michael he was going to have the doctor call him. Before the doctor got through, however, Michael was able to search for news online that could have affected Jennifer.

"I saw one passenger brought to the hospital, like, 'OK, but the whole plane didn't crash,'" he said, adding, "I was like, 'She can't be injured that bad she's just in a hospital, but I can get out there and I can hold her hand and love on her.'"

Two minutes later, Michael said, the doctor called and told him they were sorry and had tried everything they could to save his wife but she didn't make it.

"I immediately thought of the kids and how do you tell your kids their mom was gone," Michael said, referring to the couple's young son and daughter. Jennifer had planned to meet the family at their son's baseball game that Tuesday night after her flight from New York.

Instead, Michael drove to his children's school, where he brought them into a chapel to share the news.

"I just held their little hands and took a knee and said, 'Mommy's not going to come home guys,'" he said.

On Sunday, hundreds of people turned out to mourn Jennifer's passing. Michael said it was the first time he had felt peace since her death, being in the presence of those who loved her and were touched by her life.

Michael told ABC News he has avoided listening to news reports about the incident and Southwest's response, choosing for now to only concentrate on his children.

Southwest Airlines Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly expressed gratitude that no one else was seriously injured, but described the passenger's death as a "tragic loss."

"This is a sad day, and our hearts go out to the family and loved ones of the deceased customer," Kelly said during a press conference April 17.

Kelly said he was not aware of any issues with the Boeing 737, which was last inspected on Sunday. No issues with the plane or engine were reported at that time, he said, calling the Boeing 737 the "workhorse of the airline industry."

In a statement, Boeing expressed its "deepest condolences" to the victim's family.

NTSB investigators will continue the investigation in Washington, D.C., where in 12 to 15 months they are expected to announce a probable cause and more safety recommendations.

Meanwhile, airlines are under an order to quickly inspect engines like the one that failed on Flight 1380.

ABC News' Martha Raddatz’s conversation with Michael Riordan will air on an upcoming episode of ABC News’ “20/20.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Jason Davis/Getty Images(NASHVILLE, Tenn.) -- In an emotional ceremony Tuesday at the Tennessee Capitol, lawmakers gave James Shaw Jr., the man who stopped the deadly attack a Waffle House in a Nashville suburb, a standing ovation for his bravery.

"You were confronted with the most unspeakable evil imaginable and you acted with the utmost honor, heroism, imaginable," state Rep. Jason Powell told Shaw. "And I want to say, James Shaw Jr., you are my hero and you are Tennessee's hero."

Shaw, dressed in a suit and tie, was honored along with his best friend, Brandon McMurry, who was also at the Waffle House early Sunday when a gunman opened fire with an AR-15 assault rifle, killing four people and leaving four others injured, two critically.

Shaw, a 29-year-old AT&T worker and father of a 4-year-old girl, told ABC News' "Good Morning America" on Monday that he hid behind a door in the restaurant and when the suspected gunman, Travis Reinking, went to reload his weapon, he sprang into action. He grabbed the barrel of the gun and wrested it away from the suspect, throwing it over a counter and forcing the man outside.

Authorities say Shaw's courageous actions saved numerous lives, but he has refused to call himself a hero, saying he only took on the gunman to save his own life.

"I never thought I would be in a room with all the eyes on me but, you know, I am very grateful to be here," Shaw told the lawmakers today. "All I can say is ... this was a true test of a man. I do, once again, apologize to the people that lost loved ones, friends or family."

He said he went to Vanderbilt University Medical Center to visit some of the victims who were wounded.

"They all remember me," he said. "But I want you all to know, and I'll say this again, I am a genuine person: I didn't actually do it to save lives. I did it to save my life. In saving my life, I saved other lives. So that's probably the greatest things you could do."

McMurry, who also addressed the politicians, praised Shaw as not only his best friend but "a great man."

He said that during the shooting rampage, he tried to get Shaw to hide in a bathroom with other patrons of the restaurant, knowing that from where they were in a hallway leading to the restrooms that there was no other way out of the establishment except the front door.

"But he sometimes doesn't listen to me, and this is by far the best time that you didn't listen to me and I appreciate that," McMurry told Shaw.

Meanwhile, an online GoFundMe page set up to honor Shaw has raised more than $86,000 for him as more than 2,500 people donated.

"I normally don't get involved directly in these matters, but James' grace has inspired me to start this page and give him the support I feel he deserves," wrote Yashar Ali of New York, who established the fund-raising campaign on Monday.

"According to news reports, James has a 4-year-old daughter. Perhaps this money can be used for her college fund or some other education-related expense," Ali wrote. "But I'd be just as happy if James used some of this money to take his family on a nice vacation."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(DALLAS) -- Two Dallas Police officers have been shot and critically wounded, the Dallas Police Department wrote on Twitter.

A civilian was also shot, and his or her condition is unknown at this time, police said.

The police department asked for prayers for the officers and their families.

Further details were not immediately available.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Amy Beth Bennett-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Florida Judge Elizabeth Scherer has found Nikolas Cruz to be indigent and the 19-year-old will keep his public defender, the State Attorney’s Office told ABC News today.

Cruz is accused of fatally shooting 17 students and staff of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Feb. 14.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Monroe County BOCC/Facebook(MONROE COUNTY, Fla.) When Jen Shockley Brack saw a baby deer running for its life, she jumped into the flames to save the endangered Key deer fawn.

“I wasn’t scared. I saw his big eyes and he was so scared and trembling, I just had to get him,” Shockley Brack told ABC News.

The Monroe County Fire Rescue firefighter saw the young spotted fawn while responding to the Big Pine Key brush fire in the Florida Keys. It's the beginning of the wildfire season in the area, and the fire was moving rapidly after starting Sunday afternoon.

Shockley Brack, who’s been working with the Monroe County Fire Rescue for three and a half years, and her team were holding the fire line to protect exposures in the area Sunday.

“I saw this little guy run out and he was terrified,” Shockley Brack said. “He was scared to death and his little legs were shaking.”

She told her coworker she was going in after him because the area where the fawn ran was fully engulfed. When she got to the fawn, he laid down and looked up at her.

“I think he knew I was there to help him,” she said.

Shockely Brack scooped up the fawn in her arms, singeing her eyelashes a little as she reached into the burning bush where the fawn hid.

While it is not uncommon to find Key deer near fires, they have adapted to stay safe in instances of fire. This was a unique situation because the fawn was found without its mother.

Rescue workers brought the fawn to a truck, giving him oxygen, water and wrapping him in a sheet while the fire was brought under control. The young deer was unharmed and, in accordance with the Key Deer Refuge Policy, was released back into the wild.

Shockley Brack said the fire was particularly bad because of the devestation caused by Hurricane Irma last summer. She said the hurricane knocked down a lot of trees, providing more fuel for the fire. Wildfires are natural to the ecosystem in the Florida Keys, but this one was particularly large.

The fire burned 100 acres and took one residence. But the property loss could have been much worse if the crews hadn't responded as quickly and effectively as they did, she explained.

Shockley Brack and her team evacuated residents’ pet dogs and cats, including a Mastiff and Saint Bernard.

Since it’s a small area, she said, she thinks the fawn will easily be able to meet back up with the rest of the herd.

“Hopefully that little guy is out there," she said, "and doing OK."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ADRIAN, Mich.) -- Birdies on the golf course are usually a good thing. Just not when that bird is a very angry goose.

At a high school golf tournament in Adrian, Michigan, a Blissfield High School foursome had teed off and was walking down a fairway where a goose was sitting on an egg in a nest off to the side. There was a sign warning them of the goose and the golfers were respecting its space.

But that's when an additional goose suddenly came up behind the golfers.

And it was not happy.

The foursome was attacked by the goose, with one particular golfer, in his purple pullover, coming under direct assault.

Devon Gilson-Pitts, whose husband is an assistant coach for the Blissford team, says she drove in a golf cart with her husband to get between the golfer and the goose. She said it took four carts to keep the goose away and help retrieve the golfer’s clubs, which fell out during the attack.

Neither man nor goose was injured.

Blissfield finished ninth of the 13 teams in the Saturday tournament.

Isaac Couling, who was competing against Blissfield for Concord High School, was identified as the victim in the attack by The Detroit News. He says he parred the hole.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed CITY, N.J.) -- A dead baby girl found in a suitcase in April has been identified as a missing two-year-old girl from Virginia.

A Port Authority employee completing a routine inspection midday April 11 found the child's remains in a suitcase near train tracks in Jersey City, just a few miles away from lower Manhattan, Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez said previously.

The child was identified as Te'Myah Plummer, according to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. Her father, Travis Plummer, was arrested in Puerto Rico on April 19 and is awaiting extradition proceedings to Hudson County.

Police in Richmond, Virginia, had asked for the public's help finding the girl and Plummer in March, according to a press release obtained by ABC News.

They had not been seen since August, according to the press release, when it was believed they had moved to Charlotte-Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, area or Jersey City.

Plummer has been charged with desecrating human remains.

The child's cause and manner of death have not yet been shared publicly.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Metro Nashville Police Department(NASHVILLE, Tenn.) -- The suspected gunman in the Waffle House shooting near Nashville, Tennessee, that left four people dead was captured Monday afternoon in a wooded area less than two miles from where he allegedly committed the massacre, authorities said.

Travis Reinking was taken into custody at 1:07 p.m., about an hour after police officials said they had received no credible sightings of the suspect since Sunday morning. Reinking was caught in a wooded area behind an apartment complex where he lives after a civilian spotted him and called 911, police said.

Reinking has been booked into the Metro Jail on four counts of criminal homicide. He is being held on $2 million bond.

He is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

More than 160 law enforcement officers -- including SWAT teams, K-9 units and helicopter crews -- had fanned out across the Nashville suburb of Antioch in search of Reinking, who police suspected was armed and dangerous.

Don Aaron, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, said Reinking was taken into custody without incident and transported to the South Precinct station in Nashville.

"He immediately requested a lawyer and refused to make a statement," Aaron said.

He said Reinking was taken to Nashville General Hospital to be examined and was expected to be jailed later today on four counts of criminal homicide.

Lt. Carlos Lara of police department's Specialized Investigation Narcotics Unit said his team was investigating tips from the public when a caller contacted dispatchers to report a man matching Reinking's description walking through a construction site behind an apartment complex where the suspect lives.

Lara said officers responded to the Discovery at Mountain View apartment complex, where construction workers directed them to a path they saw the suspect take into a wooded area.

Taken at gunpoint

While walking through the woods, Det. Kyle Williams spotted a man in front of him, Lara said.

"As he was walking forward, the suspect turned around and Det. Williams saw his face and realized that that is the suspect we were looking for," Lara said. "At that point, Det. Williams drew down on the suspect. He told him to get on the ground. He got on the ground immediately.... Other detectives came and assisted, put him into custody and put him in cuffs."

At the time of his arrest, Reinking had a backpack on that detectives cut off while he was in handcuffs, Lara said.

"When they looked into the backpack they saw a silver Kimber semiautomatic weapon with .45-caliber ammunition, a flashlight, and a holster," Lara said.

He said Reinking was also carrying a wallet in his back pocket that contained his Colorado identification.

Prior to Reinking's capture, there had been no credible sightings of him since a resident saw him about 8:30 a.m. Sunday entering the woods shirtless behind the Discovery at Mountain View apartments, Aaron said. When he was arrested, Reinking was dressed in a torn maroon shirt and jeans.

Nashville Mayor David Briley praised the huge law enforcement contingent that included FBI and state police for apprehending Reinking in less than 34 hours.

"I'd like to say thanks to the citizens of Nashville. A tip from the community is what led to the arrest today and their being vigilant was really an important part of what happened today," Briley said.

Police helicopter crews had focused their search on the wooded area in which Reinking was last seen. Officers on the ground had searched the woods on foot with K-9 units, Aaron said.

Police suspect that Reinking, 29, went to the Waffle House in Antioch about 3:19 a.m. Sunday and waited in his gold-colored Chevrolet Silverado pickup for up to four minutes before allegedly commencing with his deadly rampage.

Police believe the suspect showed up at the restaurant wearing only a green jacket and nothing on underneath.

He fled the business after patron James Shaw Jr., 29, confronted him and took his gun during a tussle, threw it over a counter and forced the gunman outside.

Reinking fled the restaurant on foot and, police said. He ran to his apartment at Discovery at Mountain View complex, where he put on a pair of dark pants and apparently grabbed some extra clothes and his backpack containing the handgun. Police said they seized two hunting rifles from Reinking's apartment when they searched it on Sunday.

Victims killed

Killed in the Waffle House shooting were: Taurean Sanderlin, 29, a cook at the restaurant who was on a cigarette break and was one of the first slain in the shooting; DeEbony Groves, 21, an honor student at Belmont University in Nashville; and Akilah DaSilva, 23, a Middle Tennessee State University student. The youngest victim was 20-year-old Joe Perez, whose mother wrote in a Facebook post, "Me, my husband and sons are broken right now with this loss. Our lives are shattered."

Two victims remain hospitalized in critical but stable condition, officials said.

"I hope everybody will share a commitment that I have to help the families who lost their loved ones and who are still suffering in the hospital right now," Mayor Briley said. "We're going to have to gather around them and lift them up over the coming weeks.

"Obviously, this is a tragedy. We put an end to part of it today," he said. "We need to move on as a community and do what we can to curb this violence in the future."

Suspect's troubled history

Police said Reinking was raised in Illinois and has a history of mental problems and run-ins with the law.

In July 2017, he was arrested by U.S. Secret Service at the White House after he breached a restricted area and refused to leave, officials said. He demanded to meet with President Donald Trump.

Weeks later on Aug. 24, 2017, Tazewell County, Illinois, sheriff's deputies retrieved Reinking's guns, including one Kimber pistol, a Bushmaster AR-15, a .22 caliber rifle and a Remington 710 with miscellaneous ammunition, according to a report filed.

Reinking's firearms license was also revoked, according to a report from the Tazewell County Sheriff's Department.

The weapons landed back in Reinking's father's possession. The father admitted to authorities Sunday that he gave the guns back to his son, according to the sheriff's department.

The AR-15 assault rifle that had been seized was used in the Waffle House attack, police said.

Reinking had also threatened to commit suicide in May 2016 in a parking lot in his hometown of Morton, Illinois, and at the time his family told authorities he was having "delusions" involving Taylor Swift. He believed the singer was stalking him and harassing him, according to police records obtained by ABC News.

Police said he moved to Nashville in the fall of 2017 and landed a construction job, but was fired three weeks ago. He went to work for another construction company on April 16 but failed to show up after one day, police said.

Suspect suspected in car theft

He is suspected to have stolen a BMW on Tuesday from a local dealership, Arron said. The suspect went to the dealership in Brentwood in neighboring Williamson County and stole the BMW after he refused a request from a salesman to show his identification, he added.

Reinking had somehow obtained a fob for the BMW, got in it and drove away, Aaron said, adding that Brentwood Police spotted the stolen car and gave chase but called off the pursuit when it became too dangerous.

The stolen car, which was equipped with GPS, was located at the apartment complex where Reinking lives.

Aaron said the fob used in the auto theft was found in Reinking's apartment when police searched it Sunday.

"We don't know what his plan was. What his intention for taking the BMW car remains to be seen," Aaron said.

He also said that several hours after the Waffle House massacre Sunday, a laptop case containing a card with Reinking's name written on it was found at a truck stop at Interstate 24 and Old Hickory Boulevard, about 20 miles from area Reinking was last spotted.

It’s unclear whether Reinking managed to get that far after the shooting or whether the laptop case was left there before the shooting, Aaron said.

"We have a myriad of questions for him," Aaron said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Waffle House shooting suspect captured after 4 slain


Subscribe To This Feed

Michael Bryant-Pool/Getty Images(NORRISTOWN, Pa.) -- The defense team in Bill Cosby’s sexual assault retrial in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, rested its case on Monday, paving the way for key closing arguments Tuesday.

“You now have all the evidence," Judge Steven T. O’Neill told the 12 primary and six alternate jurors, before advising they “rest up” in anticipation of closing arguments.

Seven men and five women, two African-Americans among them, will likely begin deliberations late Tuesday or on Wednesday morning.

The hard-fought, high-profile case was marked by colorful witnesses, devastating cross-examinations and heartbreaking claims of abuse.

Surprising new developments unfolded inside and outside of the courtroom, often on the same day.

Earlier on Monday, the comedian informed the judge that he would exercise his right not to testify in his own defense, the same choice he made at last summer’s trial, which ended in a hung jury and a mistrial.

Cosby is charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault for allegedly drugging and molesting Andrea Costand, the former director of operations for the women’s basketball team at Temple University, where for years Cosby was a trustee and major financial donor.

He has pleaded not guilty and has denied ever drugging or assaulting anyone.

Of dozens of women who have come forward in recent years to accuse the entertainer of similar assaults stretching back to the 1960s, only Constand’s allegations fall within the statute of limitations.

During Monday morning’s court session, the defense called two final witnesses to support their contention that Cosby wasn’t at his Philadelphia estate in January 2004, the month during which Constand said she was assaulted.

Prosecutors pointed out that records of performances and flight logs from his private jet did not necessarily mean he wasn’t in the Philadelphia area -- just that he hadn’t performed or flown there.

This time around, the same prosecution team faced off against an entirely new defense team, led by celebrity attorney Tom Mesereau, who mounted a far more aggressive strategy in defending Cosby than the previous team by focusing on attacking the credibility of Constand.

It remains to be seen whether that more muscular strategy will pay off or backfire.

The primary difference between Cosby’s first trial and his second was that at last summer’s trial the judge in the case, O’Neill, allowed only one additional accuser to testify and support Constand’s account, based on the prosecution’s argument that it needed to show a common scheme or pattern to Cosby’s alleged assault of Constand.

This time around, the judge allowed five such women to take the stand.

Another new element in this year’s trial was O’Neill's decision to allow the testimony of Marguerite “Margo” Jackson, a former colleague of Constand’s at Temple, who testified that Constand once mused about framing a celebrity. The judge had rejected her testimony in the first trial as hearsay. Constand has denied Jackson's claims.

Unlike last summer, when a parade of Cosby accusers turned up inside and outside the courthouse, just three steadfast accusers -- Victoria Valentino, Theresa Serignese and Lili Bernard -- sat quietly in the back of the court for virtually every moment of the lengthy pre-trial motions process, the jury selection and the trial.

Cosby faces up to 10 years in prison for each count, if convicted.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed -- United States Customs and Border Protection is not the apple of Crystal Tadlock's eye.

Tadlock told Fox affiliate KDVR she was on a Delta flight back from Paris headed to Minneapolis when flight attendants passed out free apples in plastic bags. She said she took one despite not being hungry, and instead saved it for later on her connecting flight to Denver.

"I wasn't hungry at the time so I jammed it in my carry-on," Tadlock told KDVR in Denver, which she lives just outside of.

Tadlock said she was going through Customs when she said her bag was randomly searched by an agent who found the apple inside the plastic bag it was originally handed out in.

According to Tadlock, the agent asked if her trip to France was expensive, and she replied yes.

"It's about to get a whole lot more expensive after I charge you $500," the agent then allegedly said to Tadlock, she told KDVR.

She said she was then fined $500 and lost her global entry status.

In a statement to ABC News, Delta said, "We encourage our customers to follow U.S. Customs and Border Protection protocols."

Tadlock told KDVR that she feels that Delta should have warned customers not to take the apples off the plane or not hand them out at all.

"I understand the laws and I understand the Department of Agriculture doesn't want certain insects in the U.S. and such, but once again the apple is from Delta," Tadlock said.

In a statement to ABC News, CBP said "Privacy policy prohibits CBP from discussing the details of any individuals specific inspection, however all agriculture items must be declared. Prohibited items that are not declared by a passenger are confiscated and disposed of by CBP. More importantly, civil penalties may be assessed for failure to declare prohibited agricultural products and may range up to $1,000 per first-time offense for noncommercial quantities. If the items are determined to be for commercial use, violations will be assessed at a much higher rate."

According to the CBP website, travelers must declare fruits, vegetables, plants and animal products.

Tadlock told KDVR that she plans to fight the fine in court.

"It’s really unfortunate someone has to go through that and be treated like a criminal over a piece of fruit," Tadlock said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed -- An unruly passenger was shot with a stun gun, arrested and forcibly removed from a flight Sunday evening in an incident fellow passengers caught on video.

The Chicago-bound American Airlines plane sat at the gate at Miami International Airport Sunday for over an hour due to the disturbance, according to an airline statement.

Video posted on Twitter taken by a fellow flyer shows a male passenger getting held down and Tasered several times by three Miami-Dade police officers. The male passenger asks why he is getting removed from the plane, and an officer responds with, “You just assaulted a lady.”

According to an American Airlines statement obtained by ABC News, the incident started with a disagreement between two passengers. The instigating passenger was asked by the crew to deplane but refused. Police officers were called onto the plane.

“Once law enforcement was on the aircraft, the passenger then became combative with the officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department. The same passenger was subsequently arrested by law enforcement,” reads a statement from the airline.

All other passengers remained on the plane.

The flight departed an hour later than scheduled, and successfully reached its destination at Chicago’s O’Hare airport early Monday morning.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed, N.Y.) -- Syracuse University removed more than a dozen Theta Tau fraternity members from classes on Sunday after video emerged showing members participating in racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic skits, according to to school officials.

The university said 18 students had been "removed from academic participation" in connection with the video, which it said showed Theta Tau members acting in an "extremely racist" and "homophobic" manner.

One of the videos -- made public by the school's independent newspaper, The Daily Orange, last week -- showed members of the engineering fraternity using racist, ethnic and sexist slurs while pretending to perform sexual acts on each other. The paper published a second video over the weekend which it said showed people in Theta Tau’s house miming the sexual assault of a person with disabilities.

The students removed were all "present at the sponsored event" where the video was filmed, the central New York school's chief of the Department of Public Safety, Bobby Maldonado, said in a statement Sunday.

"Out of an abundance of caution and ongoing concern for our campus community, Provost Michele Wheatly and Dean of Students Rob Hradsky notified the 18 students of their removal from academic participation, effective immediately," Maldonado said. "Alternative class and study arrangements will be made for these students as the judicial process moves forward."

He said other students could be implicated as the investigation continues, according to the statement.

The university permanently expelled the fraternity chapter on Saturday, warning that it could take disciplinary actions against the individual students involved at a later time.

"Our investigation is ongoing and others may be implicated in the coming days," Maldonado said Sunday. "We have not and will not release the videos that are a part of our investigation, he added, noting that his office refused to be “party to the distribution of this hateful and hurtful content."

Portions of the video, originally posted to a secret Facebook group called "Tau of Theta Tau," were still available on The Daily Orange's website as of early Monday.

The fraternity chapter apologized on Friday, saying the activity depicted in video was meant to be "satirical."

"Each semester our new members are given the opportunity to write and act out a skit, in order to roast the active brothers. This event was never intended to be centered around racism or hate. This year, one of these brothers is a conservative Republican, and the new members roasted him by playing the part of a racist conservative character," the university's Theta Tau chapter said in a statement. "It was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person.

"The young man playing the part of this character nor the young man being roasted do not hold any of the horrible views espoused as a part of that sketch," it added.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Nashville Police Department(NASHVILLE, Tenn.) -- Four people were killed and two others critically injured when a man naked from the waist down and wielding an AR-15 assault-style rifle opened fire at a Waffle House in Tennessee early Sunday, police said.

The suspected gunman was identified as Travis Reinking, 29, from Morton, Illinois. He was arrested in July for allegedly breaching a barrier at the White House and demanding a meeting with President Donald Trump, officials said.

Reinking had also threatened to commit suicide in May 2016 in a parking lot in Illinois and at the time his family told authorities he was having "delusions" involving Taylor Swift. He believed the singer was stalking him and harassing him, according to police records obtained by ABC News.

Early Sunday, Reinking ran from the scene after a patron at the restaurant wrestled the rifle away from him, police said. Police on Sunday evening were using dogs and a helicopter to search a wooded area near the restaurant where the gunman was last seen.

"He's murdered four times with no apparent reason, no apparent motive. So we're very concerned," said Chief Steve Anderson of the Metropolitan Nashville Police.

Anderson said a pistol belonging to Reinking had not be recovered and he should be considered armed and dangerous.

A witness to the shooting, Chuck Cordero, 50, told ABC News that he had just pulled up to the Waffle House in Antioch, a suburban area about 12 miles from downtown Nashville, when gunfire broke out.

"He was only wearing a jacket and nothing else on," Cordero, a roadside-assistance worker, said of the gunman.

Police said two of the dead were shot outside the restaurant and one inside. A fourth person who was shot inside the restaurant later died at the hospital.

Two other people shot in the incident were in critical but stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Other victims were struck by shattered glass.

The person who wrestled the rifle away from the shooter is a "hero," police said.

Cordero used the same word.

"There's a hero," Cordero said. "I don't know what his name is, but there's a gentleman who was in there, who when this guy stopped to reload or stopped to do something with his gun, he took that opportunity and wrestled the guy till the gun went flying and then the dude took off running."

"I talked to him afterward and told him, 'You are a hero, man,' because had that guy reloaded, there were plenty more people in that restaurant," he said.

But the courageous patron, identified as James Shaw Jr., 29, refused to call himself a hero.

"I just knew it was me or him. It was that type of scenario," Shaw said at a news conference Sunday afternoon. "So I chose to go with what I wanted to go with and it worked."

Shaw said that when the gunfire broke, a bullet grazed his elbow as he ducked for cover near the restaurant's restroom. He said that when he saw the gunman look down at his weapon apparently to reload, he made his move.

"It was at that time I kind of made up my mind ... that if it was gonna come down to it, he was going to have to work to kill me," Shaw said.

Cordero said there were about 30 people in the restaurant at the time of the shooting.

He said the first victim, identified by authorities as Joe E. Perez, 20, of Nashville, was killed at the front door of the restaurant. Cordero said the second victim was a friend, a cook at the Waffle House identified by police as Taurean C. Sanderline, 29, of Goodlettsville, Tennessee, who was outside on a cigarette break when he, too, was fatally shot while trying to run from the gunman.

The gunman fired into the window of the restaurant, shattering it, before entering and unleashing more gunfire. Killed inside the restaurant was 21-year-old DeEbony Groves, from Gallatin, Tennessee. Groves was a student at Belmont University.

"The entire campus community is shocked and devastated by how such senseless violence has taken the life of this young woman, an individual full of immense potential," the school said in a statement. "We extend our thoughts and prayers to her family and friends as they come to terms with unimaginable grief."

Akilah DaSilva, 23, of Antioch was also shot and later pronounced dead at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, police said.

"Once he started shooting inside I dropped to the ground and I started to crawl around my car because I didn't know if he was going to come after me," Cordero told ABC News. "So I was able to see his feet from underneath the car. Once he went inside I tried to run across the parking lot and I fell because my legs just ... I was scared."

Cordero said the shooter seemed to remain silent, saying nothing during the rampage.

But Shaw said the gunman was cursing at him for intervening "like I was in the wrong trying to save my life."

Don Aaron, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, said the suspect arrived at the restaurant in a gold-colored Chevrolet Silverado pickup at 3:19 a.m.

"Reinking sat in the pickup truck for three-and-a-half to four minutes just looking at people inside the restaurant," Aaron said. "After about four minutes, Reinking got out of his truck armed with an AR-15 rifle and started shooting."

He said Reinking was only wearing a green jacket with nothing on underneath, Aaron said.

Aaron said the gunman shed his jacket after Shaw wrestled away his weapon. He said the suspect fled on foot, leaving his truck parked outside. The truck was registered to Reinking, he said.

Police found several ammunition cartridges in Reinking's jacket, which he left at the scene, Aaron said.

Aaron said police believe Reinking ran to a nearby apartment complex where he lives, put on a pair of pants and ran into the nearby woods shirtless.

He said Reinking's has an Illinois driver's license and is known to law enforcement in Illinois. Reinking is believed to be from Morton, Illinois, but had been living in the Nashville area since the fall of 2017, Aaron said.

A motive for the shooting remains under investigation, Anderson said.

"We suspect some mental issues, but at this time there's no note, no verbal explanations," Anderson said. "So we don't have a motive at this time."

Todd Hudson of the U.S. Secret Service Nashville Office said Reinking was arrested on July 7, 2017, after he allegedly crossed an exterior barrier at the White House, breached a restricted area and refused to leave. Hudson said Reinking asked to meet with the president.

He was arrested on suspicion of unlawful entry and later interviewed by FBI agents in Illinois.

Reinking entered a deferred prosecution agreement over the misdemeanor charge on July 26, which called for him to stay away from the White House for four months and perform 32 hours of community service, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia said. He met those conditions and the case was dismissed Nov. 17.

As a result of the White House arrest, Reinking's firearms license was revoked and his four guns were seized by the Tazewell County, Illinois, Sheriff's Office.

Matthew Espenshade, special agent in charge of the FBI's national office, said the bureau's agents conducted a thorough investigation of Reinking, including database reviews and interviews with people familiar with Reinking.

"After conducting all appropriate investigation, the FBI closed its assessment of Mr. Reinking in October of 2017," Espenshade said. "I feel confident that the FBI took the appropriate steps and did everything within our federal jurisdiction that we could at the time."

Anderson said the guns seized from Reinking were eventually turned over to his father, including the AR-15 rifle used in Sunday's shooting.

"It's my understanding the guns were surrendered to him [Reinking's father] and that's part of Illinois law because he could properly possess them," Anderson said. "At some point, he returned them to the son."

Anderson said only two of the Reinking's four guns have been accounted for: the AR-15 and another gun found in a search of his residence.

Two other guns, a hunting rifle and a handgun, have not been located and Anderson said he feared Reinking is now armed with them.

There were 35 officers from three precincts responding to the shooting, police said. The FBI and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives agents were also assisting in the investigation.

Pat Warner, director of public relations and external affairs for Waffle House, called it a "very troubling" situation.

"We are sending our corporate team from Atlanta and heading to Nashville now," Warner said. "Our thoughts are with those affected."

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident," Waffle House said later in a statement. "Right now, our first thoughts are with the victims and their families, and we will be there for them in this most difficult time. We are still gathering the details, and so we do not have much information to share ... This is a very sad day for the Waffle House family."

Nashville Mayor David Briley noted that the shooting came just seven months after another mass shooting at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Nashville that left one person dead and seven injured. Emanuel Kidega Samson, a 25-year-old native of Sudan, was arrested and charged in the shooting.

"We need comprehensive gun reform to address mass shootings, domestic shootings, accidental shootings and homicides," Briley said. "If we can all just come together for the greater good, we can take these weapons of war off the streets of our country."

The mayor added: "Clearly the victims of this shooting deserve our prayers and our thoughts, but they also deserve leaders who will step up and take action and do something to get these weapons off our streets."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Jessica Drake, an adult-film star who claims she refused a $10,000 offer to have sex with Donald Trump after meeting him at a Lake Tahoe golf event in 2006, says Stormy Daniels told her Daniels was threatened by someone to stay silent about Daniels' alleged sexual tryst with Trump.

Daniels and her attorney recently released a sketch based on Daniels' recollection of the man they say threatened her in a parking lot in 2011 after she told her story of a 2006 tryst with Trump at a celebrity golf tournament to a tabloid magazine.

In an interview airing on Good Morning America on Monday, Drake told ABC News that Daniels, her friend and fellow porn star, is telling the truth.

"She actually told me about the threat twice,” Drake said. “So the first time she told me about the threat was shortly after it happened. She relayed the experience to me. I said something like, 'I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine. What are you going to do?'"

Daniels did not report the alleged threat to authorities.

Drake says that Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, reminded her of the story when Drake came forward with her own allegations of sexual misconduct against Donald Trump at a 2016 news conference.

The Trump campaign issued a statement at the time calling the allegation "totally false and ridiculous." The campaign added: "Mr. Trump does not know this person, does not remember this person and would have no interest in ever knowing her."

“She goes, ‘Remember what I told you about all those years ago,’” Drake said of her conversation with Daniels. “She goes, ‘Be careful, be really careful. You know, don't be alone.’”

Trump has denied Daniels' claim of the affair, but Drake says she was with Daniels during one of her encounters with Trump at the 2006 golf event.

According to Drake, she and Daniels met the future president earlier that day and was later invited to his hotel room a third woman, where Trump allegedly proceeded to kiss them and ask questions.

"Well, we were ushered into the room,” Drake said. “And I remember he was wearing pajamas. And he kissed all of us on the lips and kind of, you know, one of those real close, full-body contact hugs. I do believe 100 percent that he was vetting us to see which one or how many of us he liked.”

The women left, Drake says, but she later received a call inviting her back to the hotel room. When she refused, someone who worked for Trump called her back to offer her $10,000 to return, she claims.

Drake, whose real name is Angel Ryan, says she refused again but Daniels, her friend told her later, went back to Trump’s room on her own.

"I relayed my experience to her,” Drake said of Daniels. “Like, what happened with me after we left the room. At the time that I relayed that experience to her, I didn't yet know of her experience -- until she said, ‘He didn't offer to pay me.’”

Drake said she is speaking up now to back up her friend Daniels, who filed a lawsuit against Trump in March, seeking to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement she signed shortly before the 2016 election.

Drake is named in the agreement as someone with whom Daniels discussed the alleged sexual tryst with Trump.

A payment, worth $130,000, was made by Trump's longtime attorney Michael Cohen, who is now under criminal investigation. Cohen has said he made the payment personally from his own funds. Trump has said he did not know about the payment by Cohen.

Trump denies having an affair with Daniels.

Meanwhile, Daniels has not mentioned Drake in interviews about the alleged affair -- nor did she mention being in Trump's room with other women. Daniels' lawyer, Michael Avennati, did not comment to ABC News about Drake's account.

Drake said she is not trying to sell her story and does not intend to sue the president, but her attorney, Gloria Allred, has warned the commander-in-chief to mind what he says -– and tweets -– about her client.

“If he gets enraged and upset and says something about Jessica that is, in fact, defamatory, then we're gonna need to review our legal options,” Allred sai

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Police in New York City are searching for a subway commuter who did anything but "Make America Great Again."

New York ABC station WABC reports the New York City Police Department is looking for a man who attacked a fellow subway rider on Friday. The suspect was wearing a red "Make America Great Again" cap, sold by Donald Trump during his presidential campaign, and a red "Make America Great Again" T-shirt at the time of the attack, police said. 

According to police, the Trump supporter got into a verbal argument with the fellow rider before punching him in the head on a 4 train as it approached the Union Square station in Manhattan. He then followed the victim, described by police as a 24-year-old Hispanic man, off the train and shoved him onto the tracks.

The attacker allegedly made a number of racially derogatory statements during the assault.

The victim suffered cuts on his head, and was treated at an area hospital, police said.

The alleged assault comes just eight days after a Danish tourist wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat was attacked and robbed of the hat at the same Union Square subway station. In that case, the attacker actually flashed a knife at the victim, according to police. The attacker in last week's case does not meet the same description as Friday's suspect.

Anyone with information about either incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


WJTN News Headlines for Apr. 24, 2018

A Lakewood-area man has been identified by state Police in Jamestown as the person found dead in a rural area of the town of Randolph in Cattaraugus County last weekend...     ...

Read More